'Spamming' The Forums To Gain Points
Hello August 18, 2017, 03:16:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Spamming' The Forums To Gain Points  (Read 2778 times)
(Hidden)

« on: May 26, 2016, 10:20:58 pm »

I just noticed how someone is 'spamming' these forums, in the sense of repeatedly sending one or two word replies to multiple threads -- comments that don't even seem that relevant or substantial -- seemingly (or obviously) wanting to gain points.

Is this okay/allowed?

(Hidden)

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 10:27:36 pm »

it's like creating a new topic to gain even more points -_-

(Hidden)

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 10:38:57 pm »

it's like creating a new topic to gain even more points -_-

But it's somewhat disruptive -- not to mention inconsiderate -- if you don't pace it down and do dozens and dozens of it at once. People won't see the most recent posts of the community in the home page. They'd have to go to the forums and check each sub-forum for newer posts, and these recent, new posts won't get as much attention.

(Hidden)

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 12:51:25 am »

archangelslc, you have my whole-hearted backing.

I have just pointed out the 'recent posts' disruption to someone. He had no idea that happened.

But last night I ran out of recent posts and had to check the forums

I have no idea if it is allowed (perhaps we should report them after the tenth post) but it is not OK. And it is self-defeating. There are at least three posters at the moment I don't even bother to look at because of their spam. And there surely are better ways of gaining a point than spam.

Sigh
1x Thumb Up

(Hidden)

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 01:12:38 am »

It's just happened again. I ran out of the 10 pages of recent posts with still four hours to check  Angry

(Hidden)

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 02:04:43 am »

Wow, *sigh indeed Undecided

Being relatively new, I have enjoyed connecting with others -- offering help, insight, suggestions, etc. It'll be harder to do that with all this spamming going on. (And as it was admitted, he was/is clearly doing it for points.)

You're right; perhaps the moderators need to look into this..? Roll Eyes
1x Thumb Up

(Hidden)

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 11:36:43 pm »

The official answer to this question is quite simple, NO... This is not acceptable, as we deem this to be an exploitation of the system (in other words, cheating). In order to gain SBP from making forum posts, they must be deemed to be "valid" by one of our forum admins. All this means is that they must be an active contribution, or an active engagement with the forum and it's communications. Making this type of post for the sole purpose of gaining points is very highly frowned upon.

So... I would encourage you when you find such posts to please click the "report" button on the post. This will help alert our forum admins that these posts are spammy, at which point when confirmed, the points earned from said post are reversed. Smiley

EDIT: Also... I forgot to mention that repeat offenders can receive a system warning and/or can be banned from the forum for repeat infringements of these rules. Think of it as an if you abuse it, you lose it sort of thing.
1x Thumb Up

The only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage!

"Education is all we have left when we have forgotten everything we learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
(Hidden)

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 09:07:39 am »

REPORT spammers so I can deal with them.     

Depending on various factors, they will either get a warning or be muted (can't post on the forums).    People who are muted can still use all parts of the site, but can't post in the forums.

(Hidden)

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 10:35:16 am »

How yo gain points?

(Hidden)

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 03:46:33 pm »

You CAN gain points by posting on the forums. You can lose a lot of friends and your reputation by posting dozens of pointless messages in a very short time.

Other ways to gain points:

Post your first torrent, 600 points on offer plus people might give you some.
Add relevant pictures to a torrent.
Keep your downloads seeding.

(Hidden)

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 05:59:19 pm »

I think it's pretty annoying, but I can live with it as long as people at least have the decency to be subtle about it. At first, I didn't even realize we got bonus points for posting, but I figured that out when I kept seeing single users fill up the whole front page with two-word posts. Honestly, as pathetic and relatively pointless (no pun intended) as I think exploiting this function for a few measly bonus points is, I don't even really care as long as users don't clutter up the front page summary of recent posts. That's what really gets on my nerves.

I know it's probably a lot to ask, but I think a post limit restriction would be useful here, given the incentive for posting. Something that won't let a user post more than 2-3 times without a reasonable wait period of x minutes between additional posts. I can't be bothered reporting people for shitposting, or leaving crappy single-word responses (because I don't care that much about it), but a built-in function that disrupts a user's ability do so would be helpful.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:02:18 pm by (Hidden) » Logged

(Hidden)

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 10:53:43 pm »

How about necroposting? Someone dug up my "yay im glad the forums are back" from 4 years ago and posted welcome on it... seriously?

(Hidden)

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 11:44:32 pm »

I imagine that falls under the spamming category as well. I think it's fair to say you're right to report that kind of necrobumping if you feel the need to do so. That said, I think that bumping even really old threads should be okay, as long as the poster has something significant to add (which they clearly did not in your case).

(Hidden)

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 06:08:30 pm »

Something like that is a bit of a grey area AFAIK. Due to the time since the last post, it could be seen as spamming, but it could also be reasonably explained as an ID 10 T error as there are some users here who are well... a few tacos short of a combination plate. They mean well, however it is not their fault that they're less gifted in the intelligence category. I would like to hear what raphjd has to say on this type of thing.

The only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage!

"Education is all we have left when we have forgotten everything we learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
(Hidden)

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 05:51:43 pm »

Adding "value" to a thread is not spamming, even if it's necro posting.     Of course, "value" can be subjective.  It can also be obvious.
1x Thumb Up

(Hidden)

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 11:37:45 am »

Bumping this topic just to remind GT.ru members again

(Hidden)

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 02:26:11 pm »

Today was another one of those days. Pages of recent posts by the same person. The jokes alone stretched close to 4 pages. Plus almost every thread had something contributed by the poster as well.

Maybe an odd  choice/request as I know when this happens it is usually for ratio so what if after the first 10 posts that day they stop getting credit for 24 hours? Not sure if that would be a possiblity but curious to see if it would slow down some of the posts?

This is when I feel sorry for the mods. Or should say more sorry for the mods.

Crazy?
2x Thumb Up

(Hidden)

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 04:12:11 pm »

There are many ways to gain SBP as stated by other members but spamming a forum with irrelevant reply is definitely not one of them  Tongue

(Hidden)

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 08:00:53 pm »

Today another day with someone posting over two pages of jokes.  Crazy? Crazy? Crazy?
2x Angry 1x Wink 1x Thumb Up

(Hidden)

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 01:39:33 am »

I actually kinda like these bad jokes, but yes, the poster should pace himself more. Me, I got bumped down to normal user after a lot of weirdness with my computer which involved frying both a mouse and a 2 TB drive. Recovering has been a chore. But I'm  patient. And I use freeleach a lot Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Jump to: