Perhaps a little less quoting when replying?
Hello August 16, 2018, 08:25:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perhaps a little less quoting when replying?  (Read 1284 times)
(Hidden)

« on: November 11, 2016, 03:39:42 pm »

This was a problem in the wild west days of usenet.

It seems to be getting worse here.

There is no need to quote a really long post only to add a couple of words or one line. The message you are replying to is usually the one above yours so you are just repeating stuff easily accessible.

If you feel a quote is essential you can edit the quoted message, leaving only the important bits or

copy/paste them between
Code:
[quote][/quote]

(Hidden)

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 12:16:37 pm »

This was a problem in the wild west days of usenet.

It seems to be getting worse here.

There is no need to quote a really long post only to add a couple of words or one line. The message you are replying to is usually the one above yours so you are just repeating stuff easily accessible.

If you feel a quote is essential you can edit the quoted message, leaving only the important bits or

copy/paste them between
Code:
[quote][/quote]

Why you no like the quote button? It's a very fancy button hehe
3x Thumb Up

The only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage!

"Education is all we have left when we have forgotten everything we learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
(Hidden)

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 01:50:22 pm »

I like the quoting thing... When someone quotes me, I feel acknowledged... lol

Besides, I think it provides more certainty as to who you are responding to...

Out of curiosity, what are your reservations about quoting?

(Hidden)

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 02:44:15 pm »

1. It's usually unnecessary.
2. It's bad form to quote a huge original and add a couple of words at the bottom.
3. If you feel there is a particular point that needs to be emphasised from the original it is very easy to quote that point alone.
4. It's often counter-productive as people will pass over those messages. At least I do...

PS note that I am replying to the previous message so there was no need to quote any of it  Wink
2x Thumb Up

(Hidden)

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 03:02:55 pm »

1. It's usually unnecessary.
2. It's bad form to quote a huge original and add a couple of words at the bottom.

For me this is a non-issue, as you can use the quote button and delete the text that isn't relevant to your reply.
I also disagree it is usually necessary as:
doesn't include User name

In short I may only agree/disagree with the part that I quoted(with the user name included) and being able to do so conveniently(due to the button) is helpful.

I will however concede that it'd be great if people removed non-relevant text when they use the quote button.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 03:32:00 pm by (Hidden) » Logged
1x Thumb Up

(Hidden)

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 10:45:11 pm »

The problem then becomes that you are accused of misquoting them or taking their comment out of context.   

Please be kind to my stalker, WAFFLEZ.

He suffers from the mental handicaps of Leftism and Trump Derangement Syndrome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Jump to: