Should the government make it illegal to protest outside an abortion clinic?
Hello August 17, 2018, 03:32:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should the government make it illegal to protest outside an abortion clinic?  (Read 309 times)
(Hidden)

« on: October 27, 2017, 04:51:35 am »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-abortion-protest-bill-1.4372090

I'm pro-choice but I'm also pro-free speech. In Ontario they just placed very specific limits on where pro-life protesters can be in relation to abortion clinics. I think this is the right move. Frederick recently posted a topic asking whether anti-protesters near protesters is inhibiting free speech. Well, how about the government placing restrictions on where a protest can be held?
2x Thumb Up

(Hidden)

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:05:26 am »

There is a long history in Canada of the (various) governments limiting when/where public protest is allowed to happen.

The very specific problem with protests at health clinics - which usually provide services besides abortions - is that they are designed to prevent people from going to work at the clinic or from recieving services at the clinic.  Using force or intimidation to prevent a person from doing something legal is called 'criminal mischief' under Canadian laws - I don't know about other jurisdictions.
3x Thumb Up

(Hidden)

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 01:18:43 pm »

I support free speech, but I also support the other "rights". 

I don't have a problem removing people from the immediate area to prevent the face to face harassment or blocking the entrances.   Across the street doesn't bother me.

Please be kind to my stalker, WAFFLEZ.

He suffers from the mental handicaps of Leftism and Trump Derangement Syndrome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Jump to: