Should the government make it illegal to protest outside an abortion clinic?
Hello November 24, 2017, 09:14:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should the government make it illegal to protest outside an abortion clinic?  (Read 37 times)
(Hidden)
Warned

« on: October 27, 2017, 04:51:35 am »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-abortion-protest-bill-1.4372090

I'm pro-choice but I'm also pro-free speech. In Ontario they just placed very specific limits on where pro-life protesters can be in relation to abortion clinics. I think this is the right move. Frederick recently posted a topic asking whether anti-protesters near protesters is inhibiting free speech. Well, how about the government placing restrictions on where a protest can be held?
2x Thumb Up

(Hidden)

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:05:26 am »

There is a long history in Canada of the (various) governments limiting when/where public protest is allowed to happen.

The very specific problem with protests at health clinics - which usually provide services besides abortions - is that they are designed to prevent people from going to work at the clinic or from recieving services at the clinic.  Using force or intimidation to prevent a person from doing something legal is called 'criminal mischief' under Canadian laws - I don't know about other jurisdictions.
3x Thumb Up

(Hidden)

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 01:18:43 pm »

I support free speech, but I also support the other "rights". 

I don't have a problem removing people from the immediate area to prevent the face to face harassment or blocking the entrances.   Across the street doesn't bother me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Jump to: