I swear by this recipe. It is so
good, and hey, this is the time for pie. And nothing is more American than Apple Pie, right?
+ 10 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and chopped in 0.5cm cubes
+ 1.5 Tablespoons of Lemon Juie
+ 1 Cup (220g) Brown sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
+ 0.5 cup (80g) sultanas or raisins
+ 1 Teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
+ 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract (NOT Vanilla Essence)
+ 2 Sheets Shortcrust Pastry (storebought or try this recipe
+ 1/3 Cup (40g) Almond Meal
+ 1 Egg whites, Lightly Beaten
+ Whipped Cream to serve Method
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the apple, lemon juice and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 20 minutes or until the apple is softened and the liquid is absorbed. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until cooled completely.
2. Add the sultanas, cinnamon and vanilla to the cooled apple mixture and mix to combine. Set aside.
3. Line the base of a lightly greased 20cm metal pie tin with a sheet of pastry, trimming any excess. Sprinkle over the almond meal and pack the apple mixture tightly into the pastry shell.
4. Top with the remaining pastry. Press the edges to seal and trim excess pastry.
5. Cut 3 slits in the top of the pastry, brush with eggwhite and sprinkle with extra sugar.
6. Cook for 30–35 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp.
7. Serve with whipped cream. Serves 8.