Gay Catholics - thoughts on Pope Francis?
Hello September 21, 2020, 02:31:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay Catholics - thoughts on Pope Francis?  (Read 1060 times)
(Hidden)

« on: March 09, 2018, 08:36:30 pm »

WOndering what gay Catholics think of Pope Francis and his reign so far.  Has the Church became a more hospitable place for LGBT catholics or is it the same?  On one hand he has a reputation for being more liberal than his predecessors.  On the other hand, the Church as a whole still has some deeply prejudiced dogma.  I'm not Catholic, so I was wondering if gay Catholics have noticed a change?

(Hidden)

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 10:49:48 am »

I honestly feel like he's not doing enough. And he seems too confusing, I specifically mean that he's not that consistent with his statements and the way he carries himself

(Hidden)

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 05:30:38 pm »

I'm not a Catholic myself, but I taught at Catholic universities for several years.  I think Francis is more LGBT-accepting than his predecessors, and on a visit to the US, he had a well-publicised private meeting with a former student and his husband.  At the same time, it's very hard to change the direction of a large institution with hundreds of years of tradition behind it--assuming he wanted to.

That said, the Catholic church is not as monolithic as some think:  At the local church level, some parishes are very diverse and inclusive; others are quite the opposite.  

There's also a lot of variation by country/region:  I worked in Sydney, Australia for a while, and while the Anglican church there seemed quite homophobic, the Catholic church (at least the cathedral and its music programme) seemed very inclusive and welcoming.  That's a contrast to the US, the "Episcopal Church" (part of the Anglican Communion) is very LGBT-inclusive.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Jump to: