Maximum file size using the file:// protocol?
Hello October 22, 2018, 12:55:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maximum file size using the file:// protocol?  (Read 99 times)
(Hidden)

« on: August 02, 2018, 06:03:02 pm »

Hi guys

This one is a little techie but I'm not finding any help regarding it online! So I thought I'd ask any experts on here that might have a clue...

I'm creating a website to display and link all my videos in my collection. For each video I have created an thumbnail sheet and would like to hyperlink this to the actual video file. I know most browsers don't like/allow the file:// protocol, so I'm kind of stuck doing this in IE.  I would prefer to use the file:// protocol so the video can be opened directly in VLC, rather than in a plugin over the http:// protocol (which always seems slow to me, especially when trying to jump ahead).

I've got this working easily enough and when I click on the thumbnail IE prompts to "Open or Save" the file (which is what I want).  HOWEVER, if the file size is over 4GB I get the error "The connection to the website was reset. Error Code: INET_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE". To be a bit more precise, a file that is 4,069,561 KB opens fine but a file that is 4,342,036 KB doesn't (I'm assuming therefore it's something to do with a 4,096,000 limit).

The question is, is this a limit of the file:// protocol, or a setting somewhere in IE, or something to do with the web server (XAMPP)? Is there any way of getting round this (apart from re-encoding quite a lot of videos and potentially losing some quality)?

Any help, hints or advice would be gratefully received  Cheesy

Thanks

PJ

(Hidden)

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 06:09:41 pm »

If I am not mistaken, the size limit is 4 GB, or to be more precise, 4,194,304 bytes.

The only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage!

"Education is all we have left when we have forgotten everything we learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
(Hidden)

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 07:37:32 am »

If I am not mistaken, the size limit is 4 GB, or to be more precise, 4,194,304 bytes.

Thanks MrMazda - that's what I was kind of assuming. Damn  blow nose

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled