Canada's Supreme Court rules LGBT rights trump religious freedom
Hello August 14, 2020, 04:14:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada's Supreme Court rules LGBT rights trump religious freedom  (Read 628 times)
(Hidden)

« on: December 18, 2018, 09:53:58 am »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44501139

Please be clear on this ruling.   It's not completely what the headline says.   

The ruling says that the University (or other non-church bodies) CAN NOT force people into violating their own human rights, even on religious affiliation.   

The ruling DOES NOT apply to direct church affiliation.   

In other words, churches can hang signs saying "no fags allowed" but church-owned businesses can't.

(Hidden)

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 06:06:03 pm »

Ban all religion.  Do what you want in your own time.

(Hidden)

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 07:00:04 pm »

For anyone who is a bit of a legal nut, the Supreme Court of Canada's reasons are available here: Trinity Western University v. Law Society of Upper Canada, 2018 SCC 33 http://canlii.ca/t/hsjpt

I was following this case, and it continues a trend in Canada since the late 1990s toward LGBTQ equity.

(Hidden)

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 10:27:25 pm »

Canada more liberal now than the US. Good read for the education of LGBT rights in canada.

(Hidden)

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 04:41:40 pm »

people whether they are LGBTQ+ or not should be treated equally.  People are people.  I am who I am, fact. No religion should have any say in the law that demotes or treats me any different from anyone else.

Religion should be completely separated from governement and the law becuase of this.  If you choose to be religious, as you have full right to be, do what you want in your own home /  places of worship, but it has no place in a secular society.

A "secular" society that treats everyone the same no matter your race or sexual orientation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Jump to: