Domestic Partnership Annulment Help
Hello October 20, 2020, 02:31:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Domestic Partnership Annulment Help  (Read 836 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

« on: April 16, 2020, 08:05:45 pm »

I have a domestic partnership with an ex that I have not sought out to resolve. We haven't lived with one another for about six years. We even live in different cities. He continues to live in the California city in which we have the partnership and I live in a different state. I haven't really felt the need to annul the partnership since I'm not preparing for a new partnership. Should I be concerned about this situation?


« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 07:26:20 am »

I'm not a legal expert, but I have seen this kind of thing before.   

You may run into trouble if he takes out a loan, credit card, etc and defaults.   This could leave you liable as well. 

This depends on how California treats civil partnerships.   Some states only gave a few rights in civil partnerships, while others treated exactly the same as marriage, but without the name. 

If it's a local registry and not a state wide one, then you have less of a concern.  Key West, FL had a civil registry for gay couples before the state allowed it.  It meant nothing outside of Key West but inside was treated exactly the same as marriage. 


« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 03:42:04 am »

Agreed to raphjd's comments above, with particular attention to whether the domestic partnership law legally entwines you in any financial aspects, present or future.  As well, was this partner named in your medical Living Will?  For receiving the disposition of your remains?  Is he in your estate's will?  (And if you don't have those documents, for heaven's sake, get them drawn, no matter your age.)

The formal dissolution of the domestic partnership is a prudent step to protect your assets and formally reestablish your "single" status.  It will likely require filing the related paperwork at City Hall or other state agency.  Consult a lawyer in the city/state where the partnership was signed -- you may both need to "co-sign the divorce," fun, fun -- and then know that you're truly free and clear.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Jump to: