Limit on forum bonus points?
Hello October 29, 2020, 05:27:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Limit on forum bonus points?  (Read 166 times)
(Hidden)

« on: June 15, 2020, 10:15:32 pm »

It seems that sometimes people will post a lot of new topics in order to harvest bonus points.  Just today, one user (who shall remain un-named), has created about 20 new threads, among them things as inane as "why do we wear underwear?"  This just clutters things up, and makes it harder to find/use "real" topics.

Perhaps the system could put a limit on the number of "new thread credits" a person can get per day, or week, or something like that.  A person could still post, but just wouldn't get a flood of bonus points.  I wouldn't want to discourage people from using the forum, but it might be good to remove the incentive for abusing it.

After all, if we're going to abuse something, we might as well abuse ourselves.   Grin

(Hidden)

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 12:13:54 am »

Amen to the above.  During the past few months, there has been a stream of new or newish members who start several dozen threads per week.  They extrude a combination of already-existing threads and other, nonsensical questions.

In almost every case, they have pitiful ratios because they haven't read/don't understand torrent sites.  They would need to write hundreds upon hundreds of random posts to get to minimum ratio -- and some of them are trying!

The result is that good, "honest" topics get pushed below, and it's a shame.  So yes, per-day or per-week limits may help, and I also encourage moderators who know trash from treasure to consider locking duplicate or pointless threads, and the use of gentle (yet firm) Warnings.

(Hidden)

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 05:38:10 am »

FWIW: you do not get any SBP simply from creating a forum thread. The points are only awarded IF and ONLY IF someone replies to the thread. With no reply, no points are awarded.

The only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage!

"Education is all we have left when we have forgotten everything we learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
(Hidden)

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 04:49:09 pm »

FWIW: you do not get any SBP simply from creating a forum thread. The points are only awarded IF and ONLY IF someone replies to the thread. With no reply, no points are awarded.
Thanks for the clarification.  I hope others will join me in not responding to garbage threads.

(Hidden)

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 06:54:26 pm »

FWIW: you do not get any SBP simply from creating a forum thread.

MrM, your remarks are always W -- "worth" -- reading.     Hug

Especially when I noticed, you've been fielding complaints about these "human spambots" since at least 2015, when the problem was centered on the Jokes section:

https://forum.gaytorrent.ru/index.php?topic=30739.0

I will still hold out hope that in the most extreme cases, now or in future, the "excessive spamming" rule can be applied.

Now, I would stay longer, but I've got to go and add my personal views on the thread bemoaning the lackluster performance of underwear.  And then, hopefully, someone has begun a thread on why shirts can't have three arm holes.      Crazy?

(Hidden)

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 05:24:25 am »

FWIW: you do not get any SBP simply from creating a forum thread.

MrM, your remarks are always W -- "worth" -- reading.     Hug

Especially when I noticed, you've been fielding complaints about these "human spambots" since at least 2015, when the problem was centered on the Jokes section:

https://forum.gaytorrent.ru/index.php?topic=30739.0

I will still hold out hope that in the most extreme cases, now or in future, the "excessive spamming" rule can be applied.

Now, I would stay longer, but I've got to go and add my personal views on the thread bemoaning the lackluster performance of underwear.  And then, hopefully, someone has begun a thread on why shirts can't have three arm holes.      Crazy?

We've been cracking down on it as best we can. In fact, I have my eye on a few members now. Hehe
1x Exclamation point

The only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage!

"Education is all we have left when we have forgotten everything we learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
(Hidden)

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 11:21:09 pm »

Nice! I wish the spammers would know that  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled