Default uTorrent Settings --RECOMMENDATIONS--
Hello May 22, 2018, 12:26:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home   Help Arcade Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Default uTorrent Settings --RECOMMENDATIONS--  (Read 1918 times)
(Hidden)

« on: December 09, 2017, 12:11:07 pm »

While I'm sure MANY members will have their own opinion on this, and quite possibly have some STRONG disagreements with my recommendations of Default uTorrent settings... I'm only focusing here on ways for members to avoid the DAILY BARRAGE of traps our members seem to write the help desk for help about...

...such as uploads failing to seed, and uploading damaged (partly downloaded videos), just to mention a couple.  

Note that these Preferences menus reflect what I see in my "uTorrent Classic" version 2.2.1 build 25302, as we recommend our member use;
....see here: https://forum.gaytorrent.ru/index.php?topic=22654.0

You're welcome to chime in, with replies, and I MAY end up considering adding or modifying some of my recommendations... maybe!

Here goes!!

=======================================================================================

While most of uTorrent's default settings are fine, I DO recommend the following settings:

General menu: CHECK "Append .!ut to incomplete files"   to prevent accidental uploading of incomplete videos

UI Settings: CHECK "Confirm when deleting torrents"   to prevent accidental deletion of all your downloads
     Under "When Adding Torrents:
                   CHECK "Don't start the download automatically"  to allow you to confirm file location is correct
                   CHECK "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent"   to allow you to skip some videos

Directories: CHECK "Put new downloads in:"   to allow you to specify exactly WHERE you want to store downloaded videos
                  CHECK "Store .torrents in:"     to allow you to specify exactly WHERE you want to store downloaded .torrent files

Connection:  CHECK "Enable UPnP port mapping"   facilitates port forwarding
                    CHECK "Enable NAT-PMP port mapping"   same as above
                UNCHECK "Randomize port each start"   if you've manually set up the forwarded port in your modem, this is needed.
                    CHECK "Add Windows Firewall exception   good to not have Windows decide to block any of uTorrent's actions, eh?

Queueing:    Set "Maximum number of active torrents (upload or download):" as needed; I use 500
                    Set "Maximum number of active downloads:" as needed, to prevent download queuing; I use 50

If manually uploading torrents, in the Add New Torrent window:
               UNCHECK the "Start torrent" setting...   Allows you to confirm the "Save As" file location is correct, prior to each uploading.

Note too that uTorrent has the nasty behavior of saying it's FULLY downloaded a file... when in fact it's only PARTIALLY downloaded. This contributes to a LOT of defective videos getting uploaded on our site. REMEDY? After uTorrent say's it's finished downloading a torrent, STOP the torrent, then RIGHT-CLICK on the torrent, and select "Force Recheck". It SHOULD check to 100%, if all is well. If it ForceChecks to less than 100%, RESTART the torrent, and repeat this cycle. NOTE that this MAY eventually necessitate you needing to delete ONE of the TWO file names that are the same, except that one ends in .!ut   ...DELETE the OLDER of the two files, in question, then run another FORCE CHECK and Start the torrent again, to complete the download. ALWAYS RUN A FORCE CHECK ON ANY "COMPLETED" TORRENT, to check that it finished downloading correctly.

=========================================================================================

Take care,
Pawpcorn
GTRU Staff
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:55:55 am by (Hidden) » Logged

(Hidden)

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 03:57:14 am »

I would add that version 2.2.1 of Utorrent is the last STABLE version of Utorrent that doesn't have ads. 

The current version is 3.5.. and is quite stable.. and has a lot of improvements over 2.2.1  HOWEVER.. it has very annoying ads which steal your computer's resources.  To avoid those ads, you either have to pay Utorrent $5 a year OR know how to turn the ads off    whistle  angel

TRIVIA:  many years ago, Utorrent included a load of GAMES such as Tetris, that were intended to keep you amused while waiting for downloads to complete. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Jump to: