Language Boards
Hello September 24, 2020, 02:47:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Language Boards  (Read 15469 times)
(Hidden)

« on: November 15, 2012, 07:35:16 am »

LanguageFlagBoard Link
    Arabicالعربية
    ArmenianՀայերենhere
    Bulgarianбългарски
    CatalanCatalà
    Chinese中文 / 华语here
    CzechČeský
    DutchNederlandshier
    EnglishEnglish
    FinnishSuomi
    FrenchFrançaisici
    GermanDeutschhier
    GreekΕλληνικάhere
    Hebrewמילת
    Hindiहिंदीhere
    HungarianMagyar
    ItalianItalianoqui
    Japanese日本語here
    Korean한국어
    MalayMelayu
    NorwegianNorsk
    PolishPolski
    PortuguesePortuguêsaqui
    RomanianRomânăaici
    RussianРусскийздесь
    SerbianСрпски
    SlovakSlovenčina
    SpanishEspañolaquí
    SwedishSvenska
    TagalogTagalog
    Thaiภาษาไทย
    TurkishTürkçehere
    UkrainianУкраїнський
    VietnameseViệthere

Edit:
    flag on this table doesn't mean specific country/region. so even if you cannot find your flag, don't get in a temper, please. Crazy?

Edit:
    Some of the language boards could need a Moderator actively animating, updating (translations) and surveillance of them. Without particular order:

Français (French)
    Deutsch (German)
    Nederlands (Dutch)
    日本語 (Japanese)
    Svenska (Swedish)  > an "old" board is currently hidden as we miss an active moderator

Besides being native in the board's language and a decent understanding of English, almost daily login and checking the board for new messages is a minimum requirement for candidatures.

If a member of a not yet existing languages, even a language not listed in the above table, is interesting in the creation and active moderation of a language board, feel free to volunteer.

If in case of interest, please make candidatures there > https://www.gaytorrent.ru/jobs.php[/list]
    « Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 03:21:04 pm by (Hidden) » Logged
    2x Wink

Let's make our favorite movies into gif! Smiley
    (Hidden)

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:03:06 pm »

I've corrected Français. French write their country adjective French always with first letter capital, however other country/language attribute is written with non-capital, i.e. anglais (English), but Français (French).

As to the flags:
    Purely flags represent regions, countries, nations and federations, not languages. Unfortunately there exist no common known graphic representation of languages.

Using a flag shows it's limits where a language is official of multiple countries, e.g. English, French, German, Arabic etc. ... or a country got multiple languages (Switzerland: German, French, Italian; Belgium: Flemish, French, German; Spain: Castilian, Catalan; USA: English, Spanish,; Canada: English, French; ...)

So we'll need to chose the country's/or region's flag from which the language inherited it's name and that should not be understand as discrimination of the other countries in which that language is used.

(Hidden)

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:11:22 pm »

Thanks for your correcting. Smiley
    I guess other countries' people might do like that, so I edited too.

at first, I intended to put the all flags like China, Hongkong, Taiwan... but gave up at once.
    because that was hard work and I didn't have some flags.
    and then I wondered whether we need more flags-- i.e. Quebec? just too much for me!
    but we might make it a game everyone join and play.  :Smiley

edit:
    at first -> when I was drafting the table  afraid Embarrassed Grin

Let's make our favorite movies into gif! Smiley
    (Hidden)

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:43:34 pm »

Great work smithdtn!

I think the association of country flag with language origin is the standard.  

Here is a proposed home page announcement:  Please review and recommend modifications.

GT.ru hosts forum discussion boards in a multitude of languages other than English.  Currently we host Dutch (Nederlands), German (Deutsch), Italian (Italiano), Japanese (日本語), Portuguese (Português), Romanian (Română) and Russian (Русский).  Click here to see them:  https://forum.gaytorrent.ru/index.php?topic=18407.msg83398#msg83398.  If you are interested in hosting a language board, contact the Helpdesk.

edit: Român -> Română [color]

(Hidden)

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:41:03 am »

I've added a flag to Arabic. The best (IMHO, but am not expert) I could find is the flag of the جامعة الدول العربية (Jāmiʻat ad-Duwal al-ʻArabiyya) / League of Arab States.

hXXp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_League

If there are better proposals, they are welcome.
    « Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 06:59:07 pm by (Hidden) » Logged

(Hidden)

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 01:38:07 pm »

There's a specific flag for the Arabic language. It is commonly referred to as Arabic Language Flag, but it is also known as Flag of Hejaz.
    It is also true that several sites use the Arab League flag (the one you used) for the Arabic language, eg. opensubtitles.org. But it seems to me that's not an appropriate choice, because some Arabic-speaking countries are not members of the Arab League: Chad was never a member, Syria's membership is currently suspended, and the partially recognized Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (a.k.a. Western Sahara) is denied membership due to Morocco's objections. Several current members have only recently joined, so they were not represented by that flag prior to that.
    The Flag of Hejaz does not coincide with any geopolitical entity (country/state or intergovernmental organization) and is inclusive of all Arabic-speaking countries and people. I've uploaded it for you to see.
    Whether you want to use it is entirely up to you.
     blush
    « Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:22:04 pm by (Hidden) » Logged

Explore the Wrestling SIG. Let's wrestle!
    https://forum.gaytorrent.ru/index.php?board=121.0
    (Hidden)

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 06:57:42 pm »

There's a specific flag for the Arabic language. It is commonly referred to as Arabic Language Flag, but it is also known as Flag of Hejaz.
    It is also true that several sites use the Arab League flag (the one you used) for the Arabic language, eg. opensubtitles.org. But it seems to me that's not an appropriate choice, because some Arabic-speaking countries are not members of the Arab League: Chad was never a member, Syria's membership is currently suspended, and the partially recognized Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (a.k.a. Western Sahara) is denied membership due to Morocco's objections. Several current members have only recently joined, so they were not represented by that flag prior to that.
    The Flag of Hejaz does not coincide with any geopolitical entity (country/state or intergovernmental organization) and is inclusive of all Arabic-speaking countries and people. I've uploaded it for you to see.
    Whether you want to use it is entirely up to you.
     blush

Well this article suggest both flags as representation: hXXp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_language

Actually it boils down again that flags are not representing languages but federations, nations, countries or regions. What you say about the Arab League flag is similar valid for other flags e.g. ythe UK flag or the flag of France, there are many countries in which English or French is spoken.

I'd therefore rather drop the flags from that table alltogether. That will avoid any debates drifting in politics.

(Hidden)

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 10:01:30 pm »

I agree with you. Flags tend to complicate things.

On another matter, I noticed that on the table the word for "here" is sometimes in the native language and sometimes in English. It's best if we use the native word in all languages. French and German already have the native word. We should also have:
    Chinese: 在这里 (simplified) / 在這裡 (traditional)
    Dutch: hier
    Italian: qui
    Japanese: ここで
    Portuguese: aqui
    Romanian: aici
    Russian: здесь

Explore the Wrestling SIG. Let's wrestle!
    https://forum.gaytorrent.ru/index.php?board=121.0
    Pages: [1]   Go Up
      Print  

* Permissions
    You can't post new topics.
    You can't post replies.
    You can't post attachments.
    You can't modify your posts.
    BBCode Enabled
    Smilies Enabled
    [img] Enabled
    HTML Disabled